Thursday 3 December 2009

I overslept today. Possibly to do with doing a visit late afternoon yesterday, driving through pelting rain, and then discovering at the client's home that I had arrived at an Eid party. The guest of honour (the carer of my client) had just returned from Haj. And all dressed in white, very striking he looked too!  I removed my shoes and sighed to myself as I entered, knowing I was the ultimate party pooper, that my timing could scarcely be worse, and that all I could do was keep the visit as short as possible....
I declined several offers of hospitality, in the interest of not prolonging matters. Ultimately I succumbed to a few dates brought back from the pilgrimage, which were tempting.... and I was worried that in refusing hospitality I would be seen as in some way offensively dismissive. Along the way I explained the official thinking on supporting the placement financially (we would not be doing so, of course.) I also remembered that I had to revisit the CRB form. I had written that prior to her current address, Mrs X had been living in Afghanistan. "But you must get her exact address, " our lovely, patient business support person had explained. "Otherwise they will send it back...." " I see," I said. And I did, all too well.
So I brought the subject up, right there in the brightly decorated room, with various relatives and friends all keen to welcome back the doughty pilgrim.
"Exactly what was Mrs X's address in Afghanistan by the way? I need it for the CRB check."
Mr Z looked at me in some astonishment. "Just....XYZ province. There have been a lot of (and he made a gesture of explosions.) There are no streets and numbers or postcodes as you have here. It is...why we are here, because we did not want to be killed...or to kill." 
But, ever wishing to be cooperative, Mr Z, who has become a British citizen and so understands the drill fairly well,  wrote down another word. "There," he said. "That's like...Well, a district in the province. That is as close as you will get to an address."
"I see," I said. This time I really did. I must just hope that the CRB agency will understand that there are parts of the world where addresses are not quite as they are in the UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment