Saturday 1 October 2011

Dear David

......I just started work in your area 2 weeks ago and have had the privilege of 2 weeks of induction.  Sadly if  I had the courage, I would like to tell you that I am already looking for an escape route. I am certainly feeling that I will not be around  for long. There were a couple of things that really bothered me during the induction. It isn't even the things in themselves, but the culture that they represent...a work culture that I believe is toxic.

 I am in the intake team dealing with new childcare referrals. It is one of the most pressured areas of social work. It is impossible to fit it into normal working hours which are 9 - 5.  So people start work at 9  am and frequently  continue until 8 or 9 pm . It really concerned me to hear that a  young married social worker with a young child, who started the job in July, has accrued 18 hours TOIL (time off in lieu.) She told me that she does not think it is worth taking it the time off, as her work will get behind. Does this mean that we are expected to work for nothing  for X amount of hours per month?

I really want to have a  good work-life balance! There is more to life than work, even if it is social work. I said to my young colleague that this extra work was time that was being stolen from her family and her young child. Neither of them will get it back.


Other worrying signs .....  my new team were having an away day, during our second week of induction. In the morning they had the renowned Prof Shemmings to speak about disordered attachment. We  inductees had ICs Training at that time. Guess which event took precedence...yes, ICS of course.  And the afternoon of the away day for the team was cancelled so that they could get some assessments finished on time.

Another warning sign for me was the response at the Launch of the new department. It was a dull event, there was no real life about it,  there was no excitement or enthusiasm,  just a bunch of senior managers describing tasks and setting standards.. There was no interaction with staff.  There was little response, and people I talked to afterwards were quite open about the negativity in the room. Did any of you senior managers notice this? What are you going to do about it?

Everyone comments about the beautiful new office in which our team is based. Oh dear, I find it soulless. Brand new, clean, hot desking, no personal possessions, no bins except in the kitchen, no plants, no pictures......Soulless of course. No private space. A great control mechanism, having the photocopier in the kitchen just so no one will relax as they have a drink because colleagues and managers pass through to collect printing. What a stroke of genius in the control culture. 

Open plan offices mean total distraction, stimulation overload and stress for employees, especially the way we do them in  Britain.  I won't be brainwashed into chanting the "what a lovely office" mantra because it isn't, to me. I won't do my best work there...it's just another shibboleth of a toxic workplace culture to shove people together to work and assume that means something positive.

Overall the omens aren't that great, and I'm a bit disappointed. I thought you had a genuine vision but I see it translates into the same old, same old of focussing on timescales. Frankly, that's so limited....
Sorry David,

Disappointed new employee.

No comments:

Post a Comment